BDRsuite is a robust backup solution capable of backing up any target, including Linux. You can easily install BDRsuite on both Windows and Linux operating systems. In my previous article, I explained the process of backing up a user profile from Linux to a remote location using BDRSuite installed on either Windows or Windows Server.
In this article, I will guide you through the installation of BDRsuite on Linux Ubuntu and demonstrate how to backup various hosts from there.
- Log in to your Linux machine.
- Open the Internet browser and download BDRSuite from HERE. This will download „Vembu_Offsite_DR_Server_Setup_Ubuntu_4_2_0.sh“.
- Navigate to the Downloads directory, click on the down arrow, and then click Open in Terminal.
- To run BDRSuite installer enter the command below. If your installer has a different name, please adjust it.
sudo sh Vembu_Offsite_DR_Server_Setup_Ubuntu_4_2_0.sh
- Type the root password and press Enter.
- Type „Y“ or „Yes“ to proceed with VembuBDR installation.
- Press Enter until you finish scrolling down the terms and conditions. Once you come to the point where you are asked if agreed to the above license terms, type „Y“ or „Yes“ to accept the terms and conditions and press Enter.
- The installer will take care of setting up our VembuBDR server with the following orders:
- OOBC driver
- PostgreSQL Connector
- BDR360 Agent
Type „Y“ or „Yes“ to proceed with the installation.
- Under Do you want to change the default storage location for the PostgreSQL, type „N“ or „No“ and press Enter. If you really want to change it, then go with „Y“ or „Yes“.
- Under Do you want to change the default port 32010 for the PostgreSQL, type „N“ or „No“ and press Enter. If you really want to change it, then go with „Y“ or „Yes“.N
- Please wait until the installer installs all the abovementioned components. The procedure may take several minutes until completed.
- Type „Y“ to confirm installation under the selected user and press Enter.
- Specify the installation directory and press Enter. If you don’t specify anything, Vembu BDR will be installed in /home/vembubdr.
- As the directory doesn’t exist, you will need to create it by pressing “Y“.
- Please wait – Vembu BDR is being installed.
- Enter username and password for Vembu Web BDR console.
- Type „Y“ or „Yes“, or „N“ or „No“ to change the default ports for the backup server and UI Communication port. I will keep the default one and press „N“.
- This will install BDRSuite on your Linux machine.
- Press „Y“ or „Yes“ to start Vembu BDR now.
- Your Vembu BDR is successfully installed.
- Once all the components are installed, the installer will download VembuBDR from the Internet. You can perform two types of installation, install Vembu BDR by creating a new vembubdr user account with root privileges or install Vembu BDR in the current user. In my cases, I will proceed with the second option.
- Select the user from the above list under which you need to run the service and then press Enter.
- Please wait until VembuBDR is installed.
- Navigate to the URL and access your VembuBDRSuite and loging using your credentials.
You’re all set! 🎉🎉🎉
This comprehensive step-by-step guide, complete with screenshots, has provided you with the necessary instructions.
The best part? When you follow these steps, it only takes a few minutes to complete.
In the next step, you have the flexibility to perform backups for various platforms, including Windows, macOS, Linux, VMware, and Hyper-V. To explore more about the backup capabilities and supported platforms, please check here BDRSuite Archives.
I genuinely hope you found this guide helpful and that it successfully addressed your needs. If it did, why not spread the knowledge and share it with your network? They’ll surely appreciate it!
Meet Jasmin, the IT Pro, prolific author, and influential blogger. With four books, 300+ blog articles, and millions of views, Jasmin is a trusted source in the tech world. Powered by Intel NUCs, Jasmin evaluates backup solutions in his state-of-the-art lab and provides in-depth reviews and helpful how-tos. Looking for a chance to be featured on his blog? Just give Jasmin a ping.